For many computer users it is something that you don’t see or anticipate coming. It is not something that seems to happen when the user is simply opening one simple program, it is only after working tirelessly to accomplish a series of multitasks that suddenly the screen flickers. Then there is a message. One of the most aggravating moments is when you are using your computer to accomplish a task and then suddenly see the Virtual Memory low error. Fortunately there are some steps that can be taken to correct or at least minimize this problem.
What Causes Virtual Memory Being Low?
Memory on your computer is created out of two things. You have physical memory, which runs as many programs as you like until you no longer have memory available. Then you have virtual memory, which uses hard drive space to create a virtual physical memory that programs can also use. If you do not have your virtual memory properly configured then you may run into a virtual memory low error.
How to Fix Virtual Memory Low
In order to solve the frustrating aggravation that comes from the virtual memory low error if is possible for you to manually configure the virtual memory settings by following a few basic steps.
Solution: Changing your virtual memory configuration
- To begin to combat this problem and better protect yourself from having your hardware suddenly shutting down on you then first you will need to log onto your computer as the administrator.
- Next click the Start tab
- From here you will need to select the My Computer icon and then select Properties
- Select the Advanced tab and then from there you will need to click the Settings link under the performance area.
- Select the Advanced tab and then the Change button located under the area for virtual memory
- From here click the Change link and from this area you are able to adjust the file size you are allowing for your hard drive, likely C:
- Make sure that it is in fact the C: drive that has been selected and then click the button that says Custom size.
- On the Initial size set the value to 640
- Also set the Maximum size value to 640 and then select the Set button
- Select Ok. This will cause your hard drive to be used as virtual memory no less or more then 640MB.
Thank you and I appreciate you visiting this site. Let me know if this information was of help, or if you need further assistance. I hope that this has corrected your virtual memory low problem and good luck.