Solve Services.exe Error with These Simple Steps
Just like a train that is moving thousands of people and unlimited amounts of product racing through cities and landscapes their needs to be one entity that drives and organizes everything to where they need to be. The computer, particularly Microsoft, is no different. Even with their creative powers constantly pushing the envelope on what a personal and business computer is capable there are still managing files that will fail. The file services.exe is the services control manager used for running, interacting and stopping system services in Windows. Sometimes there can be errors associated with this file, and when there are there can be some disastrous consequences when you are attempting to get your important work accomplished. Fortunately there are some basic steps that can be taken to correct this.
What Causes Services.exe Errors?
There are a couple of possibilities for causes regarding a services.exe error. One possible cause is a Windows Update. It is important that if you run into a services.exe error that you check to see if you have all of the current Windows updates. You can check this at www.update.microsoft.com.
How to Fix a Services.exe Error
In order to fix a services.exe error there are some manual steps that can be taken. First it may be wise to scan for viruses that may be affecting the file. Services.exe is a prime target for Malware attacks. If these are not the culprit then a registry error may be the solution.
Solution: Correcting registry errors
- To begin correcting your services.exe error you will first be required to reboot your computer in safe mode. This can be accomplished by holding F8 while the computer is restarting.
- When the computer has finished its initial loading wait for the prompting and then choose Safe Mode.
- You will then press Enter
- Next click the Start tab located on the desktop
- Select Run and then type regedit in the text box, followed by enter
- When the Registry Editor opens expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE by clicking the + sign next to it.
- Now expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\shares
- Select the Shares key by clicking it only once. By right-clicking on Shares, select extract and then save the key to your desktop. You will need to name the file something you will be able to remember, in case you need to restore the file.
- Look through the entries with the Shares key, and examine the Data column. Make a list of all files with the Y listed in type. You will need to verify to see if these files and paths actually exist. If you can not actually locate them (meaning they are orphaned) then you will need to return to the registry editor and delete the value in that invalid path.
Thank you and I appreciate you visiting this site. Let me know if this information was helpful correcting your services.exe error. Let me know you need further assistance, and I hope that this has corrected problem. Good luck.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.