Steps to Repairing a Failed to Update Error on Your Computer
What Is a Windows Failed to Update Error on your computer?
If you’re attempting to conduct various updates on your computer using certain update programs, including Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Microsoft Update, and Windows Update, you may receive a Failed to Update error if the update did not succeed for some reason or you don’t need an update being offered.
What Causes a Windows Failed to Update Error?
A Failed to Update error could occur when a certain update failed or didn’t install correctly, you’ve already made an update but you continue to be offered the update mistakenly, or for some reason you don’t have an update on your computer but you’re still being asked to make the update.
How to Fix a Windows Failed to Update Error
To fix a Windows Failed to Update Error, it can require advanced knowledge of computers and computer systems. However, the solution provided below is for beginners and a more general or broad audience.
Solution 1: Identify & Troubleshoot the Installation Error Code
- Go to the Start button on your computer.
- Select All Programs.
- Select Windows Update or Microsoft Update as appropriate.
- Select Review your update history.
- Look at the Status column.
- Find the update that didn’t install correctly indicated by a red X.
- Click on the identified red X for a window to open that shows your installation error code.
- Copy the error code number.
- Select Find Solutions in the installation error code window.
- Paste the error code number from Step 8 in the Type keywords here box in the Windows Update or Microsoft Update window.
- Click on Search.
- If suggestions are presented to try to solve the problem, click on the provided links and use the steps within to help resolve the root problem. If no results were provided, or the solutions provided don’t work for you, move on to Step 13.
- Click on Go to Knowledge Base articles in the Microsoft Update or Windows Update window.
- Search for the error code number from Step 8.
- Search through the results to find your error code.
- Follow the steps offered in the results to help you fix the issue.
If this process doesn’t help you resolve the Failed to Update error issue, you can try going to Microsoft’s website for assistance @ http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkID=21608.
The solutions and information provided here should help you resolve a Failed to Update Error so you can make the updates, or stop getting asked to make unnecessary updates, to and for your computer. Please don’t hesitate to contact me for further assistance. Good luck!
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.